File Now

Am I eligible to use Free File?

This program is available to any taxpayer who made $66,000 or less in 2017. About 70% of all U.S. taxpayers qualify. Last year, more than three million taxpayers were able to use free tax software products through this partnership. To find out if you qualify, answer the brief, two-question survey below.

What information do I need to get started?

Before you begin filing, make sure you have all your necessary tax information. This includes:

  • Picture ID
  • Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration OR Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
  • Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
  • Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit, such as a blank check
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.

Answer these two questions to get started!

What if I don’t have a computer or need additional help?

During tax season, in communities across the country, IRS-certified tax experts are available to assist eligible taxpayers self prepare and file their taxes using Free File. Taxpayers can receive this free, in-person assistance with Free File by visiting a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site. These sites are usually located in community or neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, shopping malls and other convenient locations.

Find Tax Help